BBQ Chicken Breasts
Here's how to make BBQ chicken breasts that turn out juicy and delicious. No grill? No problem! See my options for making this recipe with a grill pan or in the oven.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- olive oil or avocado oil
- ⅓ cup homemade BBQ sauce (plus for more dipping)
Heat grill to medium-high. Liberally season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Once hot, clean and lightly oil grill grates. Place chicken on grill on the top rack. If you’re using skin-on chicken, place skin side down on grill rack. You can place chicken on the direct heat portion of the grill, but we swear by the top rack for grilling because your chicken stays moist and still gets that grilled flavor, but doesn't get charred.
Grill chicken for 5-6 minutes or until the underside of the chicken has grill marks and easily pulls away from the grill grates, use tongs to flip the chicken breasts and grill for another 5-6 minutes. Brush BBQ sauce on the chicken breast, flip and brush sauce on the other side. Let chicken cook for 3-4 more minutes or until cooked through. Chicken is done when it's firm to the touch, opaque all the way through and a thermometer inserted in the thickest part of meat registers 165 degrees. Cook time will vary based on the size of your chicken breasts.
Discard any sauce that came in contact with raw chicken and remove chicken breasts from the grill. Let rest for 1-2 minutes and then serve with additional (fresh) BBQ sauce for dipping.
I prefer this chicken grilled on an outdoor grill, but here are some other options if needed:
- On a grill pan – Heat a grill pan to high heat for about 2-3 minutes. Lower the heat to medium-high and coat the pan with olive oil to prevent sticking. Add seasoned chicken breasts to pan and cook for 5-6 minutes on the first side without moving so it can develop grill marks. Using tongs, flip the chicken breasts using a and cook the other side for 5-6 minutes. Once chicken is cooked through, remove from heat and brush BBQ sauce onto both sides of the chicken and serve.
- In the oven – Bake the seasoned chicken at 375ºF for 20 minutes, then brush on the BBQ sauce, cook for an additional 5-10 minutes and serve.
Serving: 1chicken breast | Calories: 249kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 52g | Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 130mg | Sodium: 394mg | Potassium: 55mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g