Classic Sweet Potato Casserole
Easy classic sweet potato casserole made with only 6 ingredients. Topped with mini marshmallows and perfectly sweet, this recipe is sure to be a family favorite.
- 6 cups mashed sweet potatoes about 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
Bake sweet potatoes: Heat oven to 400°F. Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork several times. place sweet potatoes on baking sheet. Roast 1 hour or until tender. Let cool and remove skin from the sweet potatoes and discard. Place flesh into medium bowl, mash with a fork and measure 6 cups. Save any extra for another use.
Reduce oven temperature to 375° F.
Combine: Place mashed sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Add sugar, softened butter, salt and vanilla. Stir to combine. You can do this in a stand mixer if you'd like.
Transfer sweet potato mixture into a 9 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Use a spoon to make sure the mixture is evenly distributed.
Bake: Top with marshmallows and bake for 20-25 minutes or until marshmallows are golden. Serve warm.
- You can also boil the sweet potatoes if you prefer. To do so, peel and cube sweet potatoes. Place in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 15 minutes, depending on size. Drain potatoes, mash and measure 6 cups for the recipe.
- If you're like me and love pecans, you can sprinkle 1/4 cup pecans on top of the sweet potato mixture with the marshmallows.
Serving: 1 | Calories: 135kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 159mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 15g