Vegan Pesto Pasta Salad
A Mediterranean diet inspired vegan pesto pasta salad that is loaded with veggies and tossed in a dairy-free walnut pesto sauce. The perfect dish to bring to summer parties and cookouts!
Prep Time15 minutes mins
Cook Time12 minutes mins
Total Time27 minutes mins
Keyword: vegan pesto pasta
Vegan Walnut Pesto
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- juice of one lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt more to taste
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1 pound rotini pasta I used GF brown rice + quinoa pasta
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh baby arugula
- 1/4 cup walnuts toasted and chopped
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil optional
Make pesto sauce by adding arugula, basil, oil, lemon juice, garlic and salt in the bowl of a food processor and processing until smooth. Add the walnuts and pulse until the walnuts are ground to desired consistency. Set aside.
Cook pasta according to package instructions. Rinse with cool water and drain. Let pasta cool for about 5-10 minutes. Add pasta to a large salad bowl and toss with thawed peas, tomatoes, arugula toasted walnuts and olive oil. Add pesto, starting with ½ cup. Taste and add more pesto if you’d like. I like my noodles coated so I used all the pesto. Taste and season liberally with salt and pepper. Pasta salad can be served immediately, cold or at room temperature.
- I wanted to keep the recipe dairy-free but if you’re a cheese lover (like my husband) this pasta salad is delicious with a little feta added.
Calories: 195kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g