Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
This slow cooker dairy-free butter chicken is a lightened-up take on a classic Indian dish. Chicken breasts are cooked to juicy perfection in a creamy coconut milk and tomato sauce that's packed with flavor.
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch knob of fresh ginger chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 Tablespoon garam masala
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne optional
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast chopped into chunks
- 1 15 oz can full fat coconut milk
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups thawed frozen or fresh green beans optional
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
Add oil to a large skillet or saucepan and cook onion and garlic until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
Add fresh ginger, turmeric, garam masala, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, cinnamon and cayenne and toss to combine. Cook for another 1-2 minutes. This step can be done in the base of your slow cooker if it allows.
Transfer onion and garlic mixture into your slow cooker. Add chicken, coconut milk, tomato sauce, lemon juice and cinnamon stick to the slow cooker as well.
Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours. Add green beans when there's about 1 hour left in the cooking process.
Serve butter chicken over cauliflower rice (or regular rice) with fresh cilantro and a wedge of lemon for squeezing.
- Thicker sauce: If you prefer your sauce thicker, whisk together 1 Tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot powder with 2 Tablespoons water and add it to the slow cooker right before adding the green beans.
Serving: 1/6 of recipe | Calories: 360kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 761mg | Potassium: 197mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g