Pear and Beet Salad
This delicious pear and beet salad combines spinach with cooked beets, fresh pears, dried cranberries, avocado, hemp hearts and a creamy ginger hemp dressing.
- 1 lb beets washed and trimmed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 5 oz container or bag of spinach
- 2 pears thinly sliced (I prefer Bosc or Bartlett)
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup hemp hearts
- ½ avocado sliced or chopped, for topping
- sprinkle of gorgonzola cheese for topping
Ginger Hemp Dressing
- ¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon hemp hearts
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- juice from ½ a lemon about 1 Tablespoon
- 2 Tablespoons tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 inch piece of ginger peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
Place the beets in a large saucepan, add water to cover, as well as, the lemon juice or vinegar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. The cook time will vary based on how large the beets are. Drain and place pot under cold running water. Keeping rinsing until beets are cool enough to be handled. Peel skin off the beets, cut into chunks and set aside.
Prepare dressing by putting all dressing ingredients into a high powdered blender. Blend until smooth.
Prep salad by adding arugula, beet chunks, pear slices and dried cranberries to a large bowl. Sprinkle hemp hearts over salad.
Add dressing to taste, stir to combine and serve topped with avocado and gorgonzola cheese. Alternatively, you can plate the salads onto four plates separately by quartering the ingredients. Start with a base of spinach. Add beets, pear, dried cranberries and avocado to each plate. Sprinkle on hemp hearts and serve with dressing so each person can dress the salad to taste.
- You may end up with a little dressing leftover if you prefer lightly dressed salads. Leftover dressing will keep in a storage container in the fridge for a 2-3 days.
Serving: 1/4 recipe | Calories: 359kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 27g | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 13g