Mushroom Barley Soup
This mushroom barley soup combines fresh vegetables and pearled barley in a vegetarian broth. It's hearty, comforting, packed full of flavor and comes together in just one pot!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 1 ½ cup carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 16 oz baby Bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon pepper plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt plus more to taste
- 6-8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth plus more if desired
- 1 cup uncooked pearled barley
- 2 Tablespoons tamari or coconut aminos
- 2-3 cups baby spinach roughly chopped
- fresh parsley leaves for serving
In a large pot or Dutch oven, add the oil and heat over medium-high heat to warm. Add the onion, carrots and celery and sauté for about 7 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften. Stir intermittently. Add the garlic and sauté for another 1 to 2 minutes.
Add mushrooms and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes, until mushrooms start to cook down.
Add dried oregano, dried thyme, bay leaf, pepper and salt, stir to combine and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
Add vegetable broth and barley. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for about 30 minutes, until barley is cooked.
Add tamari and spinach, stir and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, until spinach wilts.
Remove bay leaf and season to taste. Serve warm topped with fresh parsley and a side of crusty bread, if desired.
Serving: 1/8 recipe | Calories: 168kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 703mg | Potassium: 539mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g