This quinoa fried “rice” is healthy, easy and comes together faster than the time it takes to order take-out. It’s the perfect weeknight meal.
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil (divided)
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, minced or grated
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 eggs
- 1 bag (about 3 cups) frozen veggies (a blend of peas, carrots, green beans and corn)
- 2 Tablespoons low sodium tamari
- 2 Tablespoons mirin
- 1/2 – 1 Tablespoon sambal oelek or homemade garlic chile sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- fresh cilantro and sriracha, for topping (optional)
- Prepare quinoa if you haven’t already: Bring 2 cups water and 1 cup uncooked quinoa to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until water has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender. Remove saucepan from heat and let cool for 5 minutes; fluff quinoa with a fork. Refrigerate until cool. This step can be done the day before.
- Heat 1/2 Tablespoon coconut oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add in shrimp, season with a little salt and pepper and stir constantly while cooking for 2-3 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through. Place cooked shrimp on a plate and set aside.
- Add remaining coconut oil into the same skillet. Saute onion, garlic and ginger until fragrant, about 4-5 minutes. Add the frozen veggies and cook until heated through. Add in cooked quinoa and shrimp then add in tamari, mirin, sesame oil and sambal oelek. Use however much sambal oelek you’d like depending on how spicy you’d like the dish to be.
- Cook and stir until evenly coated, about 2 minutes. Make a well in the center of the quinoa mixture. Pour eggs into the well; cook and stir until eggs are scrambled and cooked through, about 2-3 minutes. Divide the dish between 4 plates and garnish with cilantro and a little sriracha, if using. Enjoy.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 493
- Sugar: 8g
- Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 52g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 37g