These ooey gooey vegan pumpkin cinnamon rolls are a delicious treat to make for breakfast or brunch. They’re made with bread flour, which gives them the perfect fluffy texture.
- 1 0.25-oz. pkg. active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water (divided)
- 3 1/3 cups bread flour, plus more for rolling dough
- 2 Tablespoons coconut sugar (or cane sugar)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 3 Tablespoons melted coconut oil, plus more for greasing
Cinnamon Sugar Filling
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons almond milk
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- To make pumpkin dough: Stir yeast into 1/3 cup warm (105°–115°F) water until dissolved. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in bowl of your stand mixer and combine using the dough hook on low speed for about 1 minute.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together wet ingredients: pumpkin, coconut oil and 1/3 cup warm water.
- With mixer running at low speed, add yeast mixture and pumpkin mixture to your dry ingredients by pouring them down the inside of the bowl. Increase speed to medium-low, and mix 2 minutes.
- Let dough rest 5 minutes. Mix at medium-low speed 5 minutes, or until dough is smooth. Increase speed to medium and mix 2 minutes. Kneading is done when dough makes a slapping sound as it hits the side of the bowl. Dough temperature should be close to 90°F.
- Once combined, place dough in oiled bowl and cover. Let rise 1 hour, or until doubled in volume.
- While dough is rising, make cinnamon sugar filling by stirring together brown sugar, cinnamon and coconut oil in a bowl. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking sheet or round 9.5-inch pie pan with coconut oil.
- Sprinkle extra flour on your surface and rolling pin and roll dough into 14 x 12-inch rectangle. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture over dough and smear it all over the surface with your fingers. Starting at the top, roll the dough toward you into a large log, moving back and forth down the line of dough (in a “typewriter” motion) and always rolling toward you. Roll it tightly as you go so the rolls will be nice and neat. When it’s all rolled, pinch the seam closed and turn the roll over so that the seam is facing down. Cut roll crosswise into 12 1-inch-thick pieces and place on prepared baking sheet or pie pan. Cover, and let rise in warm place 45 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake cinnamon rolls for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden in color and cooked through and no longer doughy.
- To make frosting, combine confectioners’ sugar and almond milk in a small bowl. Spread frosting over warm cinnamon rolls and serve.
- Recipe inspired and adapted from Vegetarian Times.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 roll
- Calories: 270
- Sugar: 19g
- Sodium: 298mg
- Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 48g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: pumpkin cinnamon rolls