This vegan power bowl is loaded with roasted sweet potatoes and kale, spicy chickpeas and a creamy white bean and apple cider vinegar dressing.
- 3 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 3 oz chopped curly kale
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 3/4 cup canned chickpeas
- 1/2 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 cup cannellini beans
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment.
- Prep Vegetables: Chop sweet potatoes and kale.
- Roast Vegetables: Spread sweet potatoes and onion onto the baking sheet and toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper and ¼ teaspoon cumin. Spread out in an even layer and roast for 10 minutes. Use a spatula to flip over and push to one side of the tray. Add kale to the empty side of the baking sheet and drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for 10 minutes more.
- While vegetables are roasting, heat a skillet (we like cast iron) to medium.
- Season Chickpeas: Add the chickpeas to a mixing bowl with the brown sugar, ½ teaspoon chili powder, ¼ teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper. Use your hands to coat the chickpeas well.
- Cook Chickpeas: Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the hot skillet. When oil starts to shimmer, add seasoned chickpeas and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned (about 8 minutes). Note: Don’t be alarmed if they look like they are burning…they aren’t!
- Make dressing: Into a blender, add beans, 2 tablespoons warm water, 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1 Tablespoon olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper and a pinch of ground cumin if desired. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add more water if necessary for a thinner dressing.
- To Serve: Divide roasted vegetables between two bowls, top with chickpeas and drizzle with dressing (or serve dressing on the side).
Recipe from Terra’s Kitchen.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 585
- Sugar: 15g
- Fat: 27g
- Carbohydrates: 80g
- Fiber: 19g
- Protein: 14g