This black eyed pea dish is perfect for New Year’s Day, however it can be made anytime. It’s super easy to throw together and tastes awesome! The tempeh bacon has a nice smoky flavor similar to that of real bacon!
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic,
- 1 batch of tempeh bacon (or a package of tempeh bacon), chopped into 1/4 inch thick pieces
- 1 large bunch Lacinato kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 2 (15 oz.) cans black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 oz.) can stewed or roasted tomatoes
- sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- crumbled feta cheese, for topping (optional)
- cooked quinoa, rice or cornbread for serving
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions, garlic until onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Add in cooked tempeh bacon pieces and toss to combine.
- Add in greens and simmer until just wilted and soft. Add in black eyed peas and stewed tomatoes and bring to a simmer, for about 10-15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- Serve warm on top of cooked quinoa, rice or alongside cornbread to go along with it. Sprinkle on feta, if using.
- Category: Lunch/Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: black eyed peas