Toasted coconut chia bars made with seven simple ingredients. Loaded with complex carbohydrates, protein and healthy fats, these chia bars are the perfect pre-workout snack, especially for runners.
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 pitted medjool dates
- 2 Tablespoons brown rice syrup
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 Tablespoons almond butter
- 1 Tablespoon mini chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons water (if needed)
- Add shredded coconut into a sauté pan over medium heat to toast. Toss consistently until the coconut shreds are golden in color. This should take about 5 minutes or so. Just be sure to watch carefully because you don’t want the coconut to burn. Remove from heat and allow coconut to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add cooled toasted coconut, dates, brown rice syrup, chia seeds, almond butter and chocolate chips into the base of a food processor and process until fully combined and starting to form a ball of dough. If the mixture seems a little dry and isn’t really sticking together or forming the ball, add water (up to 1 1/2 Tablespoons). Process again and the ball should form.
- Remove dough from the processor and press into an 8-inch loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Place loaf pan in the fridge for 30-60 minutes to let the bars set up. Cut into 6 bars and store in the fridge until ready to enjoy. They should last up to one week.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 208
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 9mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 3g