These tempeh taco salad meal prep bowls are an easy on-the-go option for lunch or quick dinner. The combo of protein-packed tempeh taco meat, black beans and veggies makes for a delicious and satisfying plant-based meal. Vegan and gluten-free.
Tempeh Taco Meat
- 8 oz package of Lightlife tempeh (any variety)
- 1 Tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, oregano, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon water
Meal Prep Bowls
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup cooked black beans
- 1 lime, segmented into three pieces
- 1 avocado, sliced
- fresh salsa, hot sauce and tortilla chips for serving
- Take tempeh out of the package and use your hands to crumble it into a bowl. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Once hot add crumbled tempeh and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add spices, tomato sauce and water into the skillet and toss to combine. Cook for another 3-4 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Remove tempeh from stove and let cool.
- While tempeh is cooking toss together the tomatoes, red onion, cilantro and sea salt in a small bowl.
- Grab three meal prep containers and add the following ingredients to each: 2 cups romaine lettuce, 1/3 of the tomato and onion mixture, 1/2 cup tempeh, 1/4 cup black beans, one lime slice. You can add the avocado at this time, but it will likely turn brown so I recommend adding it right before you enjoy the bowl.
- Serve salad bowls with fresh salsa and hot sauce as the dressing and tortillas chips on the side.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl (without chips)
- Calories: 363
- Sugar: 7g
- Fat: 16g
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fiber: 21g
- Protein: 23g