Protein packed and dairy-free, these taco zucchini boats are perfect for a quick and easy healthy weeknight dinner.
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 zucchini squash
- chopped tomatoes, avocado and jalapeño, for serving
- tortilla chips and extra salsa, for serving
- Mexican cheese, dairy-free or regular (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and ground turkey into the skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, breaking apart with a wooden spoon or spatula while it cooks. Add black beans, chili powder, cumin and salsa. Cook 2-3 minutes additional minutes.
- Meanwhile, as the turkey cooks cut the zucchini in half, lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop the seeds and center out of each zucchini half, leaving about ¼ inch thick zucchini boat.
- Place the zucchini (cut-side up) in a 9X13 baking dish. Spoon the turkey mixture into the six zucchini boats.
- Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until zucchini boats are heated throughout and zucchini is cooked a bit, but not too soft/limp.
- Remove foil and serve boats with tomatoes, avocado and jalapeño slices.
- Serve with chips and salsa, if desired.
- If you decide to use cheese, sprinkle a little on each zucchini boat before covering the baking dish with foil and baking as directed.
- Category: Lunch/Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: taco zucchini boats