Easy classic sweet potato casserole made with only 6 ingredients. Topped with mini marshmallows and perfectly sweet, this recipe is sure to be a family favorite.
- 6 cups mashed sweet potatoes (about 4 large sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Bake sweet potatoes: Heat oven to 400°F. Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork several times. place sweet potatoes on baking sheet. Roast 1 hour or until tender. Let cool and remove skin from the sweet potatoes and discard. Place flesh into medium bowl, mash with a fork and measure 6 cups. Save any extra for another use.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375° F.
- Combine: Place mashed sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Add sugar, softened butter, salt and vanilla. Stir to combine. You can do this in a stand mixer if you’d like.
- Transfer sweet potato mixture into a 9 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Use a spoon to make sure the mixture is evenly distributed.
- Bake: Top with marshmallows and bake for 20-25 minutes or until marshmallows are golden. Serve warm.
- You can also boil the sweet potatoes if you prefer. To do so, peel and cube sweet potatoes. Place in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 15 minutes, depending on size. Drain potatoes, mash and measure 6 cups for the recipe.
- If you’re like me and love pecans, you can sprinkle 1/4 cup pecans on top of the sweet potato mixture with the marshmallows.
- Category: Sides
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 135
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 159mg
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 1g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
Keywords: sweet potato casserole