You’ll never know there are vegetables hidden in these sweet potato brownies! Top with chocolate ganache for the ultimate sweet treat.
- 1 medium sweet potato (1 cup mashed)
- 2 flax eggs (2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed + 6 Tablespoons water)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (I used Lily’s)
- chopped salted almonds, for topping
Chocolate Ganache Topping
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- ⅛ cup non-diary milk (almond, oat or coconut milk work)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Pierce sweet potato with a fork in 2-3 spots. Wrap in foil and roast until tender, about 30 minutes. Let cool. Peel sweet potato and mash with a fork. Measure out 1 cup of mashed sweet potato for the recipe and save the rest for something else.
- Add ground flax to water and whisk together in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Lower oven temp to 350ºF.
- Add mashed sweet potato, maple syrup, coconut oil, flax eggs and vanilla into a large bowl and stir to combine. Add coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine. Gently stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter into a greased 8×8 baking dish.
- Bake brownies for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
- Make ganache topping by adding chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl. Melt chocolate chips in the microwave using 30 second increments and stirring between each. It shouldn’t take more than 60 seconds or so. Once chocolate is melted, add milk to the bowl and stir until well combined. Pour chocolate over the cooled brownies and spread to cover. Sprinkle chopped almonds on top. As brownies sit, the chocolate topping will start to a harden a bit. You can put them in the fridge to speed up the process.
- Store leftover brownies in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 156
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 84mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: sweet potato brownies