Sneak some veggies into your brownies with these vegan + gluten-free sweet potato brownie bites. No one has to know the secret ingredient.
- 1 medium sweet potato (1 cup mashed)
- 2 flax eggs (2 Tablespoons of ground flax + 6 Tablespoons water)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
- 1/4 cup almond butter (for stuffing, totally optional)**
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Pierce sweet potato with a fork in 2-3 spots. Wrap in foil and roast until tender, about 30 minutes. Let cool. Peel sweet potato and mash with a fork. Measure out 1 cup of mashed sweet potato for the recipe and save the rest for something else.
- Add ground flax to water and whisk together in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Lower oven temp to 350ºF. Lightly coat a mini muffin tin with coconut oil.
- Add mashed sweet potato, maple syrup, coconut oil, flax eggs and vanilla into a large bowl and stir to combine. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine. Gently stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop batter into the wells of your greased mini muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes. Brownie bites are done when you can insert a knife and it comes out clean.
*For the almond butter stuffed version, simply add a little of the brownie batter to the muffin tin and make a tiny well with your finger. Add a 1/2 teaspoon of almond butter to the well and cover with more brownie batter.
**Inspired and adapted from The Sweet Potato Diet.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 mini muffin
- Calories: 85
- Sugar: 6g
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 1g
Keywords: sweet potato brownies