Whole Wheat Honey Brown Bread
Published Mar 17, 2011, Updated Sep 07, 2021
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This whole wheat honey brown bread is yeast-free and requires no-kneading. Simply mix all the ingredients together and bake!
Last year I made Irish Soda Bread to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. This year, I decided to continue the tradition of baking bread however, I decided to mix things up and make honey whole wheat brown bread instead.
Brown bread is another Irish classic, however it’s made with whole wheat flour. I used a recipe from the Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook as a guide but made a few changes by using Greek yogurt instead of buttermilk and swapping honey for the molasses.
Is Brown Bread Healthy?
Brown bread is made with whole-wheat flour, which contains more fiber and nutrients than traditional white flour. However, that doesn’t mean it’s always the best choice. You’ll find some store-bought varieties will be chock full of sugar and preservatives. So, while brown bread is traditionally healthier than its counterparts, it’s important to check your labels… or just make my healthy version instead!
The bread turned out to be a nice, dense and slightly sweet loaf. Perfect for breakfast. 🙂
This morning I knew I wanted to have a slice but I also needed a little something more so I topped it with a little almond butter and paired it with a hard-boiled egg and a navel orange. Perfection!
My second choice for St. Patrick’s day breakfast would have been a green smoothie. Maybe I’ll opt to have one of those tonight instead of the green beer that Isaac bought.
Honey Whole Wheat Brown Bread
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 4½ x 8½ loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, zest, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.
- Add the wet mix to the dry ingredients and blend. Do not over-mix.
- Pour into pan and bake 38-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes then remove from pan and let it cool completely wire rack.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.