I’m sure you’ve figured this out but I’m a sucker for nut butters. Peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter… like them all. Although, peanut butter was definitely the first nut butter I fell in love with. I’ve been enamored by it since elementary school — evidenced by the fact that I packed a peanut butter and jelly or peanut butter and banana sandwich for lunch every.single.day. I remember it well. Just like I remember my New Kids on the Block lunch box. 🙂
Nowadays I gravitate toward using almond butter more often than peanut butter, but we always have a jar of it on hand because it’s Isaac’s favorite. I’m glad because it comes in handy when I’m making a recipe that needs a little peanut butter action. For instance, this kale salad.
It’s got a lovely little peanut sauce that’s absolutely delicious. If you haven’t tried kale with a peanut sauce or dressing, you really must! Like peanut butter, peanut sauce is good on just about anything but I think it’s particularly good on leafy greens like kale.
Aren’t the little spirals of carrot and cucumber pretty?
I used my Joyce Chen spiralizer to make them. You can certainly julienne the carrot and cucumber if you don’t have a spiralizer. But I have to say, I LOVE my spiralizer and would definitely recommend getting one if you eat veggies a lot (or are looking to eat more veggies). Spiralizers are so cool because you can make “noodles” out of almost any vegetable or fruit. I make veggie pasta all the time.
There are a bunch of different spiralizers out there. The Joyce Chen model I have was given to me by a friend. It works fine for me but at some point I’d like to upgrade to this one. Just from reading some reviews and noticing that this one has three blade options, I’d say that it’s better than mine.
Back to the recipe. It comes together quickly, doesn’t require a ton of ingredients and tastes ah-mah-zing. If you like kale and peanut sauce, you’ll love it. It works great as a side salad or you can add some shelled edamame for a little protein and have it as a meal.
Spiralized Carrots and Cucumber Kale Salad with Peanut Sauce
- 1 bunch of kale (about 10 ounces)
- 1/2 cup carrot spirals
- 1/2 cup cucumber spirals
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sesame salt (gomasio)
- (for topping)
- 1/4 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1/4 inch knob of fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 Tablespoon Bragg's Liquid Aminos
- 1 Tablespoon brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup warm water
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Wash kale and dry well. Remove large, tough stems and cut or break large leaves into bite size pieces.
- In a large bowl combine the kale, carrot and cucumber spirals and red onion. Set aside.
- Place the peanut sauce ingredients (peanut butter, garlic, ginger, vinegar, aminos, brown rice syrup, water and cayenne pepper) into a blender and blend until the mixture becomes smooth.
- Drizzle the sauce on top of the kale mixture and stir until everything is well coated with the sauce. Garnish with chopped red onions and gomasio. Serve and enjoy!
What’s your favorite nut butter at the moment?
Do you own a spiralizer?