This teriyaki chicken is cooked in the slow cooker with a sweet and savory Asian sauce. Once shredded, serve over rice with veggies for a full meal!
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon low-sodium tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce (also called Sambal Oelek)
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder or cornstarch + 3 Tablespoons water
- sesame seeds, to taste
- cooked rice (white, brown or cauliflower)
- steamed broccoli
- Make sauce by whisking together honey, tamari, onion, ketchup, olive oil and chili garlic sauce in a small bowl.
- Add chicken breasts to slow cooker and pour sauce over top.
- Cook chicken on high for 2 hours or low for 3-4 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Transfer chicken from the slow cooker to a cutting board and let cool.
- Whisk arrowroot powder with water until it dissolves. Pour the arrowroot mixture into the slow cooker and stir together until smooth.
- Turn slow cooker to High and cook uncovered until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Once chicken is cool enough to touch, shredded chicken using two forks. Once shredded, add back into the slow cooker with the sauce and toss to combine. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the chicken and serve. I like serving the shredded teriyaki chicken over rice with broccoli on the side.
- Category: Lunch/Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Asian
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 573
- Sugar: 22g
- Sodium: 1028mg
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 81g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 41g
Keywords: Teriyaki Chicken