A vegetarian chili made in the slow cooker for all of you busy bodies! Prep the veggies ahead of time, throw them in the slow cooker and dinner will be waiting for you at the end of the day.
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 red or orange bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- pinch of cinnamon
- Toppings: avocado, cilantro, sliced jalapeño, cashew sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Add sweet potato chunks to a baking sheet, toss with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Roast for 25-30 minutes, until tender. This step can be done a day or two in advance.
- Start prepping chili by adding 1 Tablespoon olive oil to a skillet. Once oil is hot, add in the chopped onion, bell peppers and garlic. Sauté for 5-7 minutes until onions are fragrant and translucent. Add chili powder, salt, cayenne and cinnamon. Toss to combine and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Transfer cooked onions and peppers into your slow cooker. Add in roasted sweet potato chunks, black beans and diced tomatoes. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours.
- When ready to serve, top with your favorite chili toppings like avocado, cilantro, jalapeño or even cashew sour cream.
- This recipe can is part of my vegetarian freezer meal prep series. <– Check out the post to learn how to prep and freeze it in advance.
- Category: Lunch/Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 274
- Sugar: 13g
- Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Fiber: 13g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: sweet potato black bean chili, slow cooker vegetarian chili