- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 red or orange bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- pinch of cinnamon
- Toppings: avocado, cilantro, sliced jalapeño, cashew sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Add sweet potato chunks to a baking sheet, toss with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Roast for 25-30 minutes, until tender. This step can be done a day or two in advance.
- Start prepping chili by adding 1 Tablespoon olive oil to a skillet. Once oil is hot, add in the chopped onion, bell peppers and garlic. Sauté for 5-7 minutes until onions are fragrant and translucent. Add chili powder, salt, cayenne and cinnamon. Toss to combine and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Transfer cooked onions and peppers into your slow cooker. Add in roasted sweet potato chunks, black beans and diced tomatoes. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours.
- When ready to serve, top with your favorite chili toppings like avocado, cilantro, jalapeño or even cashew sour cream.
- This recipe can is part of my vegetarian freezer meal prep series. <– Check out the post to learn how to prep and freeze it in advance.
- Category: Lunch/Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 274
- Sugar: 13g
- Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Fiber: 13g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: sweet potato black bean chili, slow cooker vegetarian chili