A vegetarian Mexican quinoa casserole made entirely in the slow cooker. Packed with sweet potatoes, black beans and taco seasoning, this is sure to be a family favorite! Vegetarian and gluten-free.
- 1 cup water or veggie broth
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- 3 cups diced sweet potato (about 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced)
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1½ cups prepared salsa (mild, medium or hot)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ small yellow onion, chopped
- ¼ cup sliced green onion + more for topping
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons taco or fajita seasoning
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese, divided
- Toppings: Greek yogurt or cashew sour cream, avocado, green onion, cilantro
- Tortilla chips, for serving (optional)
- Add water, quinoa, chopped sweet potato, black beans, salsa, bell pepper, yellow onion, green onion, cilantro and taco seasoning in your slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-6 hours, or until the liquid is absorbed and quinoa is cooked.
- Remove the lid and stir. Taste and adjust seasoning by adding salt and pepper, if necessary. Stir in 1 cup of cheese and sprinkle 1 cup on top. Put the lid back on and cook until the cheese melts, about 10-15 minutes. Serve warm with desired toppings and tortilla chips if using.
- This quinoa dish can get a little mushy if you let it cook for too long. I don’t mind this at all and honestly think it makes a great dip for tortilla chips this way, but if you want more texture with the sweet potatoes and quinoa, just be sure not to overcook.
- Make this dish in the oven by following this recipe: Sweet Potato Quinoa Fiesta Bake
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 303
- Sugar: 7g
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 13g
Keywords: slow cooker mexican quinoa, cheesy quinoa