Never waste beet greens again! Sauté beet greens with sweet roasted beets for simple and nutritious side dish. Vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 large bunch of golden beets
- 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2–3 Tablespoons yellow onion
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Bragg’s liquid aminos or coconut aminos
- crushed red pepper, to taste
- sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Cut the tops of the beets to 1-2 inches. Wash and chop the greens and stems, discarding any large and tough stems.
- Scrub the beets clean, poke 2-3 times with a fork and wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Roast in a 400°F oven until tender, about 50 minutes if you’re using medium-large sized beets.
- Unwrap the beets (they’ll be piping hot so be careful!) and run cool water over them. The skin should easily peel off while you do this. Once peeled, chopped one or two of the beets into small chunks. You can save any remaining beets for another recipe. This step can be done ahead of time.
- Once your beets are ready, heat your coconut oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and sauté until fragrant. Add the the greens and sauté a little longer, about 3-4 minutes. Add chopped golden beet pieces, apple cider vinegar and liquid aminos to the pan and give it one last stir. Season with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper, to taste.
- Divide the mixture between two plates and enjoy.
- Category: Vegetarian Sides
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 40
- Sugar: 7g
- Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: sautéed beet greens