This veggie-packed sausage egg casserole is the perfect healthy dish to serve a crowd. It’s dairy-free and gluten-free, but still packs tons of flavor!
- 1 large sweet potato, diced into 1/4 inch chunks
- cooking spray (olive, avocado or coconut oil)
- 1 pound ground breakfast chicken or turkey sausage
- 2 teaspoons olive or avocado oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cups torn kale
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 eggs
- ½ cup non-dairy milk*
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spray sweet potato chunks with cooking spray and roast in the oven until tender, about 30 minutes, tossing at the halfway point.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer sausage to a bowl and add 2 teaspoons of oil to the same skillet. Once hot, add onion, red bell pepper and mushrooms to the skillet. Cook until onions are translucent, about 6-7 minutes, then add kale. Cook for another 2-3 minutes to allow kale to wilt. Remove from heat and transfer veggies to the bowl with the sausage.
- Add to the roasted sweet potato into the bowl as well.
- Whisk eggs, milk, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper together in a medium bowl. Add egg mixture to the sausage and veggie mixture. Pour into a large baking dish (9 X 13) sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake in the preheated oven until set, about 20 to 25 minutes, but the cook time will depend on the size of your baking dish. Let stand for 5 minutes and serve.
- Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for 4-5 days.
- If you’re not worried about the casserole being dairy-free, you can use 2% milk.
- To prep this casserole in advance, simply do everything through step 5, cover baking dish and place in the fridge until you’re ready to bake it.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/10 of recipe
- Calories: 168
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 513mg
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 17g
Keywords: sausage egg casserole