Love coconut, caramel and chocolate? You will adore this healthy Samoa baked oatmeal. It’s made with coconut milk, date caramel and a chocolate drizzle.
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 (15oz) can regular or light canned coconut milk (about 1 and ¾ cups)
- 1/4 cup date caramel (see recipe below)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 Tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut + more for topping oatmeal
- 4 Tablespoons chocolate chips, divided
- ¼ teaspoon coconut oil to thin chocolate
- extra date caramel, for drizzling
- 8 medjool dates, pitted*
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond or oat milk + more if needed
- Make date caramel by adding all ingredients into a high powered blender or food processor (and blend until mixture is smooth and there are no date chunks detectable. Add additional milk until the date caramel is thin enough to drizzle, but not too thin.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Spray an 8×8 square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, coconut milk, date caramel, baking powder, sea salt, flaxseed, applesauce, coconut oil and vanilla.
- Add 2 Tablespoons shredded coconut and 2 Tablespoons chocolate chips and stir until just combined.
- Carefully pour oatmeal mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Scatter shredded coconut on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until the oatmeal bake has set and flakes are toasted and golden. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- While cooling, add 2 Tablespoons of chocolate chips to a microwave safe container with the coconut oil. Heat in the microwave in 30 second increments until melted. Drizzle chocolate over the baked oatmeal. Then drizzle date caramel sauce over top.
- Serve immediately with chocolate and date caramel sauce drizzle.
- For storage: store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- To reheat: To reheat the whole baked oatmeal, cover with foil and reheat in a 350°F oven for about 20 minutes. For individual portions, set toaster oven to 350°F and bake for 5-10 minutes or reheat in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Recipe works best fresh, soft medjool dates. If dates are dry or hard, you can soak them in water for about 30 minutes, drain and then use them in the recipe.
- If you’re using the smaller deglet noor dates, you’ll need to use more! This is something you can play around with to get the caramel sauce thickness you’re looking for.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 282
- Sugar: 18g
- Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: Samoa baked oatmeal