A slow simmered root vegetable tagine with apricots and rosemary! Serve this vegetarian dish as a side or over rice or quinoa for a complete meal. Vegan and gluten-free.
- 2 Tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup dried apricots
- 1 1/2 cups veggie broth
- 1 navel orange, juiced
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons + extra for topping fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F degrees. In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add cumin, turmeric, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and heat for 1 minute.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, and add the turnip, sweet potato, rutabaga, carrots and parsnips, sweet potato. Sauté for 8 to 10 minutes. Add the broth, juice from orange, maple syrup and rosemary and bring mixture to a simmer. Cover Dutch oven and transfer to the oven and bake for 45 minutes, until the vegetables are very tender. During the last 10 minutes of cooking, mix in the dried apricots. Remove from oven, taste and season with sea salt, pepper and top with rosemary for serving.
I used a variety of root vegetables for this tagine, but feel free to experiment with what you have available. If you can’t find rutabaga or turnips, simply add more parsnips, carrots or sweet potatoes.
- Category: Lunch/Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Moroccan
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 274
- Sugar: 22g
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 51g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: vegetable tagine