Delicious old-fashioned oatmeal cupcakes with a crunchy coconut pecan brown sugar topping. Vegan and gluten-free.
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats or quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 2 Tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 6 Tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance Original Buttery Spread, softened
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour (regular all-purpose flour will work too)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Coconut Pecan Topping
- 3 tablespoons Earth Balance Original Buttery Spread, melted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In a small mixing bowl add oats and boiling water. Let stand for 20 minutes. In another bowl make flaxseed eggs by combining ground flaxseed with water. Mix together and let stand.
- Pre-heat oven to 350° and line a cupcake tin with ten paper liners.
- Using an electric mixer beat sugar, brown sugar and buttery spread on medium speed until combined and fluffy. Beat in flaxseed eggs and vanilla.
- Add in oat mixture, flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and ground nutmeg. Stir until well blended.
- Pour batter into cupcake tin with paper liners, filling each about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool while preparing the topping — combine melted buttery spread, brown sugar, pecans, coconut, coconut milk and vanilla in a small mixing bowl.
- Spoon cupcake topping over each cupcake, making sure to cover the whole top.
- Place the cupcakes back in the oven and broil 4-6 inches from the heating element for about 2 minutes or until the topping is bubbly and golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for about 30-60 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 262
- Sugar: 12g
- Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g