You (and your family) will love this healthy sweet potato casserole with a crunchy pecan topping. It’s lighter in sugar, absolutely delicious, vegan and gluten-free!
- 8 cups sweet potatoes (about 4 large potatoes)
- 1 cup canned coconut milk (light or regular)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup gluten-free old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup gluten-free oat flour or almond flour
- 3–4 tablespoons coconut oil, in solid form
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into large chunks. Place the chunks in a large saucepan and cover with cold water, bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Simmer until the sweet potatoes are fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. Once done, drain well and let cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350°F and spray a little cooking spray on a 9×13 or 9×9 inch casserole dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the pecans, oats, oat flour, and brown sugar. Cut in coconut oil with a fork or knife until the mixture is sandy with pea-sized chunks of oil. Set aside.
- Place sweet potatoes into a large bowl and mash them with fork before adding coconut milk, maple syrup, oil, flaxseed, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt to the bowl. Mix until everything is combined.
- Spoon the sweet potato mixture into the prepared dish and sprinkle on the brown sugar and pecan mixture. Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the sweet potatoes are bubbling.
- Category: Sides
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/16 of recipe
- Calories: 237
- Sugar: 18g
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: sweet potato casserole, vegan sweet potato casserole, gluten free sweet potato casserole, healthy sweet potato casserole, healthy thanksgiving recipe