Oh boy! I have the perfect end of summer recipe to brighten your Monday — especially if you’re like me and have a lot of zucchini on your hands right about now. I know I’ve mentioned it before but our little garden is a zucchini making machine. This summer really has been the summer of zucchini for us — I’ve been whipping up at least one recipe a day that involves zucchini.
Obviously zucchini bread was a no-brainer and had to happen at some point.
This particular zucchini bread is awesome because it’s made with whole grains and sweetened with maple syrup. Maple syrup has always been my natural sweetener of choice and I’m now a Pure Canada Maple ambassador so I’ll be teaming up with them to share lots of maple goodness with you over the next year or so. I’m excited.
First up, this delicious zucchini bread…
I’ve tweaked the standard zucchini bread recipe to make it a bit healthier by using the maple syrup, whole wheat pastry flour, coconut flour as well as olive and coconut oil.
It is dairy free, but not vegan. I haven’t tried it yet without the eggs but you could certainly test out using an egg replacement (like flax seed eggs) if you’d like to make it vegan. I think it would work out just fine!
Although I love nuts in my quick breads Isaac isn’t a big fan so I skipped adding nuts and used chocolate chips instead. The chocolate makes this a little more decadent and perfect served as a dessert. That said, we’ve also loved having a slice as a mid-afternoon snack or pairing the bread with eggs and coffee for a hearty breakfast. Enjoy!Print
Adapted from this Zucchini Coconut Lunchbox Bread. Makes 2 loaves. Eat one now, share the other with a friend or freeze it for later!
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 cups zucchini, finely grated
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (liquid state)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup mini dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 2 – 9″X5″ loaf pans.
- Sift together flours, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Add maple syrup and zucchini, stir until well blended. Stir in oils, vanilla and chocolate chips. Stir in sifted dry ingredients, until just blended (don’t over mix).
- Pour into prepared loaf pans. Smooth out the top of the batter.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove loaves from pans and cool before slicing.
- Note: I sprinkled a little raw turbinado sugar on the top of each loaf before baking to add a little sparkle but that’s totally optional.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 315
- Sugar: 17g
- Fat: 18g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 4g
This post is part of a partnership with Pure Canada Maple. As always, opinions are my own.