This healthy lentil stew is loaded with kale and uses fresh salsa for a boost of flavor. Added bonus: it’s budget-friendly and cooks up in 45 minutes!
- 1 Tablespoon olive, avocado or coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 8 oz package white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 16 oz bag of green lentils
- 2 16 oz containers salsa (I used roasted garlic and restaurant style)
- 32 oz (1 quart) low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 bunch of kale, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- pinch of cinnamon
- sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- for garnish: fresh grated parmesan, avocado, fresh basil
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large sauce pan. Add in onion, garlic and mushrooms and sauté until fragrant and soft. About 6 minutes or so.
- Add in vegetable broth, lentils, salsa, turmeric, basil, cayenne pepper and cinnamon. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Add in chopped kale and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until kale has wilted. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Spoon stew into bowls for serving. Top with avocado, fresh basil and fresh parmesan (or all three).
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowl with avocado
- Calories: 422
- Sugar: 9g
- Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 68g
- Fiber: 29g
- Protein: 27g
Keywords: lentil stew