Happy Monday friends! I hope you all had a great weekend. Today I’m switching things up with a video post on how to make one of my favorite meals – fresh spring rolls a.k.a summer rolls.
Whenever we go to Vietnamese or Thai restaurants, I always order fresh rolls and I make them at home now too. They’re healthy and super food to make. Here’s how I do it:
Aren’t they cute?
Shrimp Fresh Spring Rolls
- 10 – 15 rice paper wrappers
- 1 head romaine lettuce, leaves separated and largest leaves cut in 1/2*
- Cooked Maifun brown rice noodles (optional)
- 1/2 cup cooked shrimp, shells and tails removed, diced OR 1/2 cup plain tofu, sliced into small pieces
- 1/2 cup cucumber, chopped into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped into matchsticks
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
- fresh basil OR mint
- Wet spring roll wrapper with warm water. (I usually heat a pot of water on the stove top (not letting it get to a boil) and once it’s warm I put it in a bowl or plate that is large enough to fit the rice paper wrapper in.)
- Place wrapper on a hard surface, like a plate. Place lettuce leaf on far left edge of wrapper.
- Place a little of each ingredient into the wrap – about 3-4 pieces of shrimp, carrots, cucumbers into the lettuce leaf. Top with 1 slice of avocado and fresh herbs.
- Roll wrapper from left to right, folding in the top and the bottom sides of wrapper toward the middle. Just before the wrapper is completely wrapped.
- Complete steps 1 to 4 for each wrapper. Serve with the Peanut Sauce (recipe below).
- *You may or may not use all the ingredients, especially the whole head of lettuce. Just store the leftovers in the fridge for later use.
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon tamari, soy sauce or Braggs Liquid Aminos
- 1 teaspoon chili paste like Sambal Oelek
- Water, to thin
- Whisk together all ingredients in a bowl, adding water to get the desired consistency.