An immune-boosting health tonic with fresh horseradish, ginger, garlic, onions, cayenne pepper, apple cider vinegar and honey. Recipe inspired and adapted from Mountain Rose Herbs.
- 1/2 cup freshly peeled and grated ginger root
- 1/2 cup freshly grated horseradish root
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 10 cloves of garlic, crushed or chopped
- 2 organic jalapeño peppers, chopped
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 2 Tablespoons dried rosemary leaves
- 1 Tablespoon turmeric powder or 2 Tablespoons freshly grated turmeric root
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup raw honey, or to taste
- Add ginger, horseradish, onion, garlic, jalapeño peppers, lemon zest and juice, rosemary, turmeric and cayenne powder into quart-sized glass jar.
- Pour apple cider vinegar in the jar until all the ingredients are fully covered and the vinegar reaches the top of the jar. You want to be sure all the ingredients are covered to prevent spoilage.
- Use a piece of natural parchment paper under the lid to keep the vinegar from touching the metal, or use a plastic lid if you have one.
- Shake jar to combine all the ingredients and store in a dark, cool place for 4-6 weeks, remembering to shake the jar a few seconds every day.
- After one month, use a mesh strainer or cheesecloth to strain out the solids, pouring the vinegar into a clean jar. Be sure to squeeze out as much of the liquid as you can. This stuff is liquid gold! The solids can be used in a stir-fry or you can compost/discard them.
- Add honey to the liquid and stir until incorporated.
- Taste your fire cider and add more honey if needed until you reach your desired sweetness.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator or in a cold, dark place.
- Drink 1-2 Tablespoons when needed.
Feel free to make this recipe your own with optional add-ins like cinnamon, orange and grapefruit.
- Category: Tonics