These homemade turtles are made with five simple ingredients. yet still amazingly decadent and taste just as good, if not better, than the store-bought candies. They’re also better for you!
- 1 cup (about 10) Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I like using Lily’s chocolate chips)
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- 45 pecan halves
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Place dates into the bowl of a food processor and pulse a couple times. Add sea salt and pulse until the dates are completely chopped and form a large ball. The date mixture will be very sticky at this point. Using plastic wrap to cover your hands, remove ball from food processor, wrap it with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for about 1 hour. This step makes the date mixture much easier to work with. It becomes harder and less sticky.
- Remove date ball from freezer and unwrap. Pinch off small pieces of the date ball and roll into small balls. Place on parchment paper or a cooling racking. Once you have all the balls made, start adding three pecans to each ball in a triangle pattern with a little of each pecan sticking out. As you press the pecans the date ball will flatten out a bit.
- Lay each turtle pecan-side down on the parchment or cooling rack.
- Melt chocolate by adding chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute in the microwave. The chocolate chips should be almost completely melted at this point. Stir the mixture together until all the chips have melted down. (The heating process can also be done on the stove if you prefer.)
- Using a spoon cover each turtle with melted chocolate. Once they’re all covered, move the turtles into the freezer to allow the chocolate to set up. This should only take about 10-15 minutes. Remove from freezer and enjoy. Store any leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge or freezer.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Desserts
- Serving Size: 1 turtle
- Calories: 104
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 20mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 1g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
Keywords: homemade turtles, healthier turtles, chocolate turtles