Homemade Gift Idea: Whipped Coconut Oil Sugar Scrub
Published Dec 15, 2014, Updated Oct 11, 2021
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
There’s something special about homemade gifts. They typically take a little more forethought and effort than just picking an item out at the store, but I think it’s the love that goes into making a homemade gift that really shows through.
It’s probably pretty obvious that I love gifting edible delights, however you may be surprised to learn that sometimes I get creative and make other sorts of homemade gifts. I’ve made everything from wine cork cork boards to photo albums, coasters, and books with secret hiding spots.
This year I continued my infatuation with homemade beauty products and came up with a couple simple sugar scrubs using essential oils to give as gifts.
What is Sugar Scrub Used For?
I love using a sugar scrub on my skin to exfoliate dry, dead skin cell buildup. I love doing it on my hands but honestly scrub my entire body because I love how silky soft my skin is afterwards! One thing to note, you shouldn’t scrub your skin more than three times a week. I like to do it just once a week!
How to Make a Sugar Scrub
The scrubs are so easy they almost don’t require a recipe — basically you just use a 2:1 ratio of sugar and oil, then add your favorite essential oils if you want it to be scented.
I noticed that the in-house sugar scrubs at Whole Foods are made with safflower oil so I decided to test it out for the first batch. I tested one batch with safflower oil and that worked well but I really wanted to try using coconut oil as well. I whipped coconut oil in my stand mixer on medium for 10 minutes, then stirred in the sugar and essential oils. The whipped coconut oil made the scrub turn out thick and seem more luxurious. It also leaves your body ridiculously silky smooth after using it! It’s definitely my favorite of the two.
To give the scrub as a gift, I simply put some into a cute jar and added a little tag. Ta-da — a lovely little homemade gift!
What Essential Oils Are Good in a Sugar Scrub
I used lavender essential oil because I’m obsessed with all things lavender but you can’t really go wrong here! I think all of these essential oils would be amazing in this scrub:
- peppermint – can relieve muscle pain, headaches and soothes inflamed skin.
- eucalyptus – can help focus the mind and boost your mood.
- lemon – is anti-bacterial and a good disinfectant.
- orange – excellent for disinfecting as well as killing fungus and pathogens. It’s also has very effective actions against colds and flu.
- grapefruit – helps balance your mood and skin.
- lavender – calming and soothes skin irritations.
Whipped Coconut Oil Sugar Scrub
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, in solid form
- 3/4-1 cup cane sugar
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- Place coconut oil in a stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, whip for 10 minutes on medium speed.
- Add in the sugar and the essential oil and whisk a a little more until everything is blended together.
- Store in a covered container.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
What’s the best homemade gift you’ve ever given or received?