Something amazing happened…
I was able to recreate my favorite Luna Bar!
My three favorite Luna Bars are Chocolate Dipped Coconut, Chocolate Peppermint Stick and White Chocolate Macadamia, in that order. I don’t even like white chocolate so I don’t know why I love that White Chocolate Macadamia but I do.
I’ve been wanting to try my hand at making them at home but was intimated by the ingredient list because it’s rather long. I started looking online to see if anyone had tried to make a homemade version and found that Katie from Chocolate Covered Katie had indeed made them before. Using her recipe as inspiration I went to work in the kitchen and made a Chocolate Dipped Coconut version.
I could tell by one taste of the “batter” that they were going to be good, but once they were covered in chocolate and chilled they were even better. I haven’t done a side by side taste test to see if the flavor is exactly the same as the real Luna Bar, but that doesn’t really matter to me.
Isaac said that it’s the best bar I’ve ever made, which is a bold statement, but I think he’s probably right. The texture is apot-on and the mix of chocolate and coconut flavors are perfect. I made them into mini bars because I wanted them to be around 100 calories each. Plus everything is cuter in mini form. Right?
Inspired by Katie’s Homemade Luna Bars
- 2 cups crispy brown rice cereal (I used Erewhon’s Gluten-Free)
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats (gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dried coconut flakes
- 2 Tablespoons protein powder (I used Sunwarrior)
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon natural creamy peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 Tablespoons vegan chocolate chips, melted
- Put cereal and oatmeal in a small food processor/chopper and pulse until the cereal is chopped fine. Don’t process it too much or else you’ll end up with flour.*
- Place cereal and oat mixture in a large mixing bowl and add in the coconut, protein powder and cocoa powder.
- Add the brown rice syrup, honey, peanut butter, coconut oil, and vanilla to a small sauce pan on medium-low heat. Stir mixture and heat until everything is melted and combined, about 2 minutes.
- Pour over the dry ingredients and stir very well, making sure to coat everything.
- Line a pan with parchment paper and spread the mixture evenly into the pan. Place a sheet of parchment paper on top of the mixture, then press down as firmly as you can. Really press it down.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until completely melted.
- Spread the chocolate on top of the bars and freeze for at least an hour before slicing.
- Store the bars in a sealed container in the freezer, fridge or a room temperature. I like them straight from the freezer!
And the mini bar only has 100 calories!!
Since these were such a success, I think a homemade version of the Chocolate Peppermint Stick will be next on my list! Do you like Luna Bars? If so, what’s your favorite flavor?