This healthy white bean chicken chili is loaded with cannellini beans, corn and green chiles. It has a ton of flavor and cooks up in just 30 minutes.
- 1 Tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- ½–1 jalapeño, seeded and diced*
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 (4 oz) cans mild diced green chiles
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15 oz) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed*
- 1 1/2 cup frozen corn (no need to thaw)
- chopped cilantro, green onion, jalapeño and/or avocado, for garnish
- cornbread or tortilla chips, for serving
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic, onion and jalapeño and cook until soft and fragrant, about 5-6 minutes. Add oregano, cumin, chili powder and cook about 1 minute more. Add green chiles, chicken, and broth and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered for about 10 to 15 minutes, until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Use a fork or tongs to remove chicken from the soup, place on a plate and shred with two forks.
- Place shredded chicken back in the pot and add beans and corn. Bring soup to a simmer and let cook another 10 minutes. Taste soup at this point and season with additional sea salt and pepper if needed.
- Portion chili into bowls and garnish with chopped cilantro, green onion, extra jalapeño and/or avocado.
- This chili is great served with tortilla chips or cornbread.
- Feel free to use a full jalapeño. I used 1/2 of a deseeded jalapeño and the chili had a nice kick.
- To make the chili thicker, you can mash 1 can of the drained and rinsed beans before adding them to the pot.
- To freeze: cool chili, place in a freezer-safe storage container and freeze. To use, partially thaw chili in the refrigerator overnight. Add to a saucepan and heat until warm, stirring occasionally. If soup is too thick you can add a little broth or water to thin.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe without toppings
- Calories: 285
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 1160mg
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 28g
Keywords: white bean chicken chili