Healthy sweet potato skins with cashew sour cream, dairy-free cheese and tempeh bacon. Crispy and loaded with cheesy, smoky flavor, no one will guess these are plant-based!
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Wash, scrub and dry sweet potatoes. Use a fork to poke several holes in each and place the potatoes on a baking sheet in the preheated oven. Bake for about 50-60 minutes or until potatoes are tender and a fork easily pokes through the skin/flesh. Remove potatoes from the oven and let cool.
- While potatoes are baking, make the cashew sour cream if you haven’t already and cook your tempeh bacon as well. Place a non-stick pan over medium-high heat, add about 1 teaspoon of olive oil and cook tempeh strips for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until crisp. Let cool before cutting or crumbling the strips into tiny bacon bits.
- Once potatoes are cool enough to handle, carefully cut each lengthwise in half and scoop out all but 1/4 inch of flesh to create the sweet potato skins. Coat each skin (on both sides) with a little olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Place skins flesh side up on the same baking sheet.
- Turn heat on the oven up to 450°F and bake skins, flesh side up for 10 minutes, flip potato skins and bake for another 15 minutes. At this point, your potato skins should be turning golden brown and getting a little crisp on the outside.
- Flip skins and add cheese and tempeh bacon bits to the cavity of each. Turn heat on the oven to broil and place the potato skins back into the oven until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes or so.
- Remove skins from the oven and once cool enough to handle, top with chilled cashew sour cream (spoon it on or drizzle it on) and fresh scallions. Enjoy right away!
- Serving Size: 1 sweet potato skin
- Calories: 170
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 478mg
- Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: sweet potato skins, healthy potato skins, vegan, appetizer, appetizers, game day, Super Bowl