A basic healthy oatmeal recipe with instructions for how to cook old fashioned oatmeal on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup water or milk
- dash of sea salt
- toppings of choice
- Add oats, water or milk and salt to a pot over medium/high heat.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and continue to cook for about 5-7 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- You oatmeal is ready when the oats have soaked up most of the liquid and are creamy. Transfer to a bowl and add your favorite toppings.
- To make old-fashioned oats in the microwave: add 1/2 cup oats and 3/4 cup liquid (water or milk) into a microwave-safe bowl and stir to combine. Microwave for 1 minute, then stir and continue to microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between each, until the oatmeal is the consistency you like. I usually cook them for a total of 3 minutes, but you’ll know it’s done when most the liquid is absorbed and oats are hot.
- Carefully remove from microwave (bowl will be hot) and top with your favorite oatmeal toppings.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup made with water (no toppings)
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 1g
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: healthy oatmeal recipe, oatmeal recipes