Sweetened only with maple syrup, this delicious healthy low sugar pumpkin bread is made with whole wheat flour and it’s vegan!
- 1 2/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup maple syrup*
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 flax egg (1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 Tablespoons water)*
- 2 Tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare 1 regular sized loaf pan (8.5 X 2.5 X 2) by spraying it with cooking spray.
- Whisk together ground flaxseed with water in a small bowl with a fork and let it sit for a few minutes until an gel like consistency forms.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon pumpkin pie spice and salt). Combine the wet ingredients (pumpkin, maple syrup, vanilla, oil, apple sauce and flax egg) in a medium-sized mixing bowl and blend well. Add the liquid mixture to the dry and stir well.
- In a small bowl mix coconut sugar and cinnamon for the topping.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan and top with coconut sugar cinnamon topping and place on the center rack of oven. Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before removing from pan.
- Storage: Bread should keep at room temperature for at least 3 days. For longer storage, keep in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for 1-2 months.
- For a sweeter pumpkin bread, feel free to use 1/2 cup maple syrup.
- A regular egg can be used in place of the flax egg if you don’t need the recipe to be vegan.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 165
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 225mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: healthy pumpkin bread