A healthy version of the southern classic loaded with and shredded chicken.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped
- 2 small red skinned potatoes, chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 32 oz carton low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- hot sauce, for serving
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large casserole pan/dutch oven. Add onion and garlic to the pan and sauté until fragrant and soft.
- Add in carrots, celery and potatoes, canned tomatoes, broth, corn, lima beans, worcestershire sauce, parsley, bay leaf, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat simmer for 30-45 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir occasionally. Remove bay leaf and add in shredded chicken, stir to combine and cook an additional 5 minutes or until chicken is heated through. If stew seems too thin, you can mash up some of the potatoes with a fork to create a thicker broth. If the stew is too thick, you can add more chicken broth or water, starting with 1/2 cup.
- Once stew is ready to serve, place in bowls and garnish with fresh parsley. Serve with hot sauce so everyone can add as much or as little spice as they like.
- Serving Size: About 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 273
- Sugar: 9g
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 20g