Banana oatmeal energy bars made with chopped walnuts and raisins. These bars made for a perfect pre-workout snack.
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 overripe bananas
- 1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or 1/2 cup whole wheat flour + 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Coat an 8″ x 8” square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread the walnuts on an ungreased baking sheet or stone and toast in oven for 5 to 8 minutes, or until toasty and fragrant.
- While the walnuts are toasting, mash the bananas in a medium sized bowl. Add the remaining wet ingredients: oil, apple sauce, sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients: oats, flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking soda. Add the banana (wet) mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in the toasted walnuts and raisins, being careful not to overmix. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top is browned and a toothpick inserted comes out nearly clean. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars.
- Adapted from the Runner’s World Cookbook.
- Category: (vegan & dairy-free)
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 172
- Sugar: 13
- Fat: 8
- Carbohydrates: 24
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 3