These healthy apple cinnamon muffins are made with a blend of whole wheat and all-purpose flour. They’re loaded with fall flavor and extra moist thanks to pumpkin! Vegan modifications included.
- 1/4 cup (4 Tablespoons) butter, softened*
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 3/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt*
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed + 6 Tablespoons water (or 2 regular eggs)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and finely chopped apple pieces (about 1–2 apples)
- 2 Tablespoons coconut sugar or dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners or coat with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the 2 Tablespoons of ground flaxseed with the 6 Tablespoons of water and let sit while you start preparing the other ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix together the topping – 2 Tablespoons of sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose and whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix the 3/4 cup sugar with the softened butter until combined. Add the flaxseed/water mixture, pumpkin and vanilla. Stir in yogurt.
- Fold the flour mixture into the wet mixture. Gently stir in the apple chunks.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle with the brown sugar topping. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of 1 of the muffins comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Store any leftover muffins in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- For vegan muffins: use Earth Balance Buttery Stick instead of butter and coconut milk yogurt instead of regular Greek yogurt.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 185
- Sugar: 13g
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: healthy apple muffins