Healthier magic cookie bars made grain-free, gluten-free and vegan with homemade sweetened condensed coconut milk.
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/8 cup coconut oil, liquid
- 1/2 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 can (13.5 oz) full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a square (8×8) glass baking dish with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients for the crust in a large bowl and press firmly into the prepared pan. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until your crust is golden brown in color. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- While crust is cooling, in a saucepan over medium heat bring coconut milk and sugar to a low boil, reduce heat and simmer for approximately 45 minutes, stirring frequently until the mixture has reduced by half. The coconut milk mixture should be thick reduced to about 3/4 cup. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Pour the sweetened condensed coconut milk over the crust and spread to the edges.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the condensed milk, then the flaked coconut, and then the pecans. Using your hands, press the mixture down a tiny bit until the milk soaks upward into the layers.
- Place in oven (still at 350°F) and bake for about 30 minutes, until edges are browning a bit. Remove from oven and cool for 30 to 60 minutes on a cooling rack. Once the bars have cooled a bit, place the pan in the refrigerator to allow the bars to set-up for at least two hours (or overnight). If you’re in a rush you could put the bars in the freezer for an hour instead.
- After cooling, lift the parchment out of the pan and place bars on a cutting board or other flat surface. If the bars are coming from the freezer, you may need to let them thaw for a few minutes before cutting as they will be pretty firm. Cut bars into 16 squares and dig in! Any leftover bars should be wrapped or placed in a sealed container. They can be left out for a couple days or stored in the fridge or freezer for longer storage.
Recipe adapted from Simply Living Healthy.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 263
- Sugar: 16g
- Sodium: 50mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: magic cookie bars, coconut magic cookie bars, seven layer bars