A delicious Plant-based grilling recipe where nutty tempeh is coated in homemade BBQ sauce and grilled to perfection with zucchini, summer squash and red onion.
- 1 8 oz package Lightlife Original Tempeh, chopped into 16 cubes
- 1/2 cup homemade BBQ sauce (or store-bought)
- 1 summer squash, cut into chunks or rounds
- 1 zucchini, cut into chunks or rounds
- 1/2 red onion, cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon avocado or olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and pepper
- cilantro, for garnish
- 4 wooden or metal skewers
- Add cubed tempeh and BBQ sauce to a medium size bowl and toss to coat. Let tempeh marinate for 20 to 60 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss chopped zucchini, squash and red onion with 1 teaspoon oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat grill to medium-high.
- Thread squash, zucchini, onion and marinated tempeh alternately onto skewers. Be sure to wipe any access BBQ sauce from the tempeh cubes. You want them to be coated, but not dripping with it.
- Place skewers on grill and cook for 5-10 minutes. Turn and grill 5-10 minutes more or until veggies are tender. Watch the veggies closely as they grill and if they start to dry out, brush them with a little oil. The same goes for the tempeh. If it looks dry simply brush on a little of the leftover BBQ marinade.
- Transfer skewers to a platter, sprinkle with cilantro and serve. Serve tempeh cubes with extra BBQ sauce for dipping.
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes before using.
- Category: Tempeh
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 skewers
- Calories: 285
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 499mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 24g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: bbq tempeh