This quinoa stuffing is loaded with butternut squash, mushrooms and herbs. It’s a healthy, savory gluten-free side dish to add to your Thanksgiving table.
- 1 Tablespoon vegan butter (regular butter works too)
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 3 cups peeled and chopped butternut squash
- 8 oz package of baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth or bone broth
- 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or cherries
- more sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook quinoa: Add quinoa, water and bay leaf into a saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy. Remove bay leaf.
- Cook veggies: Heat butter in a large skillet. Add onion, garlic and celery and sauté until onion is fragrant and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add butternut squash, broth, sage, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper to the pan. Cover and let mixture cook for about 5 minutes, then remove top and simmer for another 10 minutes, allowing most of the broth to evaporate. You’ll know it’s done when the butternut squash is cooked through and fork tender. Remove from heat.
- Mix Everything Together: Add cooked quinoa into a large bowl and top with cooked veggie mixture and dried cranberries to the quinoa. Stir to combine, taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Bake: Preheat oven to 375°F. Transfer mixture into a 9×13 baking dish, top with chopped pecans and bake for 20 minutes or until pecans are golden brown and toasted. Serve warm.
- Category: Sides
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 374
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 674mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 56g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 12g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: quinoa stuffing