This weekend has been quite lazy. Isaac and I both slept in this morning and although I’ve been in workout clothes all day I didn’t get in a real workout. I did walk about 20 minutes this morning and completed some of my PT exercises so I think I’ll count it was an active rest day. 🙂
Basically I’ve been working on the computer for most of the day—getting posts lined up for next week, printing out quotes and contracts for wedding stuff, sending wedding related emails and organizing. After a day full of wedding planning, I realized that I haven’t posted a wedding update in ages (since my bachelorette party back in October). Has it really already been three months since that happened? Wow!
So let me fill you guys in on what we’ve been up to:
We finally decided that our caterer is going to be Olio, a European Market that happens to be one of our favorite spots for lunch and dinner in downtown Richmond. We’ve always loved their food and are super excited to be working with their catering team for the wedding! I’m already pumped about the proposed menu, which is full of fresh, seasonal fare and plenty of vegetarian options.
After several tastings, we decided to go with a four tiered cake from Pearl’s Cupcake Shoppe. We’re certain that one layer of the cake will be their deep dish apple pie flavor (snicker doodle batter, apple filling and cream cheese frosting—it’s to-die-for). However, we’re still unsure about the other three tiers. I like the idea of doing a pie/cobbler theme and having the apple pie paired with their peach and blackberry cobbler flavors, but we’ll see! We still need to taste those.
Here’s one cake that I have fallen in love with:
We already booked our DJ for the reception and Isaac asked the music teacher at his school, Dr. E, to play during the ceremony and cocktail hour. That said, we’re still been brainstorming what songs we should have played during the ceremony, what our first dance song will be, etc.
We don’t really have “a song” and although there are plenty of songs that we both love, we’ve found that many of them aren’t first dance appropriate if you really listen to the lyrics. For instance, Each Coming Night by Iron and Wine and First Day of My Life by Bright Eyes—they’re both songs that we listened to in our early days of dating but they’re probably not the best choice for a first dance song. One option that we both like is Carries On by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros.
It’s a super sweet song and we’re thinking it could be one we can slow dance to and then surprise people with some fun dancing at the faster parts.
For the father/daughter dance, I really like the song Stand By Me by Ben E. King. I haven’t talked to my dad about it yet, but perhaps he and I can dance the like the people are dancing in the video. 😉 That would be a riot.
A couple other things we’ve been working on lately:
- Collecting light blue Ball jars to use as vases for our centerpieces. I think I have around 40 now thanks to all my friends and family that found them at antique shops and yard sales.
- Picking out attire for the guys. <– We’ve decided on khaki colored suits with either coral or blue ties. I think these will be perfect for a summer wedding.
- Purchasing our wedding bands. I know what I want, but Isaac still needs to decide.
- Finding an officiant. <– Yeah, we really need to get on this one!
- Settling on a design for our invitations. We know we’re getting them through Borrowed and Blue as part of the Perfect Wedding giveaway but haven’t picked a design just yet.
- Getting into wedding dress shape. My knee injury has definitely put a hindrance on this but I’m not going to let it stop me. I’ve been back on track with healthy eating for the past few days and it feels awesome.
- Deciding if we’re going to try to go tentless for the reception. <–This is something we’re still discussing with our wedding planner.
I love the looks of outdoor wedding receptions with twinkle lights and a dance floor under the stars but I’m scared to death about the weather. I’m also worried about it being too dark once the sun goes down.
- Settling on a salon/stylist and deciding how I want my hair to be styled.
I haven’t fully decided if I want my hair up or down but I’ve been swooning over this hair style for a couple days. I never thought I’d want a flower in my hair but I absolutely love this look: the little poof in the front, the messiness, the head band and the flower. I’m sold! It might be my favorite wedding hair inspiration picture yet.
I know there’s more stuff that I’m forgetting to mention but we’re a little less than 6 months out and this is where we’re at with the planning right now… overall, I think we’re in pretty good shape.
Have any advice or tips to share on the things I’ve posted about? As always, I appreciate your thoughts! 🙂
PS – The winner of the $50 Whole Foods gift card has been announced. Click over and scroll down to the bottom of the post to see if you won.