Comfort food made healthy, this cheesy eggplant casserole layers eggplant with protein-rich turkey and mozzarella. The best part? It bakes up in 30 minutes!
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 1/4 inch thick slices
- sea salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1/2 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 24 oz jar marinara sauce (any flavor)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- grated parmesan cheese, to taste
- Cut eggplant into slices, place on a baking sheet or platter and sprinkle salt on both sides. Let sit for 20-30 minutes. Discard up any water released from the eggplant slices and blot any remaining water with a paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil in large sauté pan. Once hot, add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add ground turkey into the pan, season with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Cook, breaking turkey apart until turkey is cooked through and no longer pink, about 10-15 minutes. Add sauce to the pan and combine. Remove from heat.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread a little sauce into the bottom of the pan and add a layer of eggplant. Top with half the turkey sauce mixture. Add another layer of eggplant, top with the remaining turkey sauce mixture. Sprinkle on mozzarella cheese.
- Cover eggplant bake with foil and place in preheated oven. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese is hot and bubbly. Remove from oven, let rest for 5 minutes and serve.
- Serve with grated parmesan.
- Category: Lunch/Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 210
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 460mg
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 19g
Keywords: eggplant casserole