This easy and healthy sweet potato pie is made with coconut sugar, coconut cream and fresh sweet potatoes. It’s dairy-free, vegan and can easily be made gluten-free as well.
- 2–3 medium/large sweet potatoes, scrubbed and washed
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup canned coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 unbaked 9″ pie crust (use store-bought or make your own)
- coconut whipped cream, for topping
- Bake sweet potatoes: Heat oven to 400°F. Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork several times and place sweet potatoes on baking sheet. Roast 45 minutes or until tender. Let cool and remove skin from the sweet potatoes and discard. Place flesh into medium bowl, mash with a fork and measure 3 cups. Save any extra for another use.
- Meanwhile, place pie crust in a 9″ inch pie pan and pre-bake according to package/recipe instructions.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Combine filling ingredients: you can do this in a stand mixer using the flat beater or in a high powered blender or food processor. If the volume is too much for your blender, you can blend the sweet potato in batches, transfer to a bowl and then mix in the rest of the filling ingredients. I combined everything in my Vitamix.
- Transfer filling into the baked pie shell. Cover the crust with aluminum foil or use pie protectors to keep the edges of the crust from getting too brown.
- Bake: Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until pie has set.
- Cool + Chill: Allow to cool and then transfer to the fridge to set up and chill for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight. Serve chilled with whipped topping.
- You can also boil the sweet potatoes if you prefer. To do so, peel and cube sweet potatoes. Place in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 15 minutes, depending on size. Drain potatoes, mash until smooth and measure 3 cups for the recipe.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice without whipped cream
- Calories: 313
- Sugar: 25g
- Sodium: 185mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 50g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
Keywords: sweet potato pie