Healthy and easy black bean dip that’s perfect for parties, game day or Mexican night. Serve with veggies or tortilla chips! Vegan and gluten-free.
- 2 – 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed (reserve 1/4 cup black bean liquid)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped + extra for garnish
- yogurt or sour cream for topping (optional)
- Add oil to a skillet over medium heat. Once hot add onion and garlic and cook, tossing frequently so the garlic doesn’t burn. After about 5 minutes add in the spices (cumin, chili powder, sea salt and cayenne pepper). Toss to combine and continue cooking another 5 minutes. Add a tablespoon of water if the pan starts to dry out. After about 10 minutes of cooking total, remove from heat.
- Place garlic and onion mixture, black beans, reserved black bean liquid, tomato paste, lime juice, apple cider vinegar and fresh cilantro into a blender. Blend until smooth. Taste and add additional spices, if needed. More salt or perhaps more cayenne pepper if you want the dip to be spicier.
- Transfer the dip to a bowl, garnish with extra cilantro and sour cream, if using. Store in the fridge until ready to serve. Leftover can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days.
If you like things spicer, feel free to add a seeded and chopped jalapeño while sautéing the garlic and onion. Another option is adding more cayenne pepper.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 69
- Sugar: 1g
- Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 4g