A healthy and vibrant chickpea dip made with cooked beets and traditional hummus ingredients.
- 1/2 lb. whole beets
- 1 15 oz. can about (1 1/2 cup) cooked chickpeas, skins removed*
- 1 lemon, about 2 Tablespoons lemon juice and 1/2 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1–2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- ground pepper, to taste
- Wash and cook beets. You can either boil them in water for about 30 minutes, or until they are tender enough to stick a fork through. Strain and run cold water over the beets, then remove the peels once they are cool enough to touch. The other option is to roast the beets.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Coat beets lightly with olive oil and wrap in aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet, and roast in the oven until cooked through, approximately 45 to 60 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for 10 minutes, and then peel.
- Place peeled beets as well as all the remaining ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into a serving dish and serve with pita chips, carrots, and cucumbers (or any other veggie/chip of your choice).