This curried black bean ratatouille uses the best of summer’s bounty and is full of plant-based protein and fiber — a quick weeknight meal that can be thrown together in under 30 minutes! Vegan and gluten-free.
- 1/2 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups Japanese eggplant, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 2 cups yellow squash, halved and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini, halved and sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 heaping Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1–2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- ground pepper, to taste
- cooked quinoa for serving (optional)
- Heat a large sauté pan/skillet over medium heat and add the coconut oil. Once melted, add the onions and garlic to the pan. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until they are translucent and lightly caramelized, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the eggplant and thyme to the pan and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is partially cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Add the jalapeño pepper, zucchini, and squash and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, apple cider vinegar, curry powder, black beans, raisins salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 more minutes. Stir well to blend and serve either hot or at room temperature. We served ours warm over cooked quinoa.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe (without quinoa)
- Calories: 253
- Sugar: 13g
- Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 47g
- Fiber: 14g
- Protein: 14g